About the Study
The Virginia Department of Transportation (VDOT), the Federal Highway Administration and other stakeholders have initiated work on a Supplemental Environmental Impact Statement (SEIS) to reevaluate the Hampton Roads Crossing Study.
The study was originally documented in a Final Environmental Impact Statement and Record of Decision, both issued in 2001.
The SEIS will re-examine the three alternatives that were retained for analysis in the original study, as well as an additional alternative identified during initial public outreach. Illustrations and descriptions of the alternatives are available here .
All alternatives will include a transit component.
In some cases, this will include dedicated lanes and in other cases the SEIS will prescribe means by which transit could be incorporated into other lanes on each facility.
Each alternative also will be presented in sections in the SEIS to allow for new or hybrid alternatives to be identified through the study process.
In addition to examining the alternatives, the study also will include updated information on natural, historic and social resources and consider up-to-date engineering and scientific standards.
- August 2016 - Draft SEIS available for 45-day public comment period
- September 2016 – Location Public Hearings
- October 2016 – Brief Commonwealth Transportation Board (CTB) on the study
- November 2016 – Seek CTB decision
- Spring 2017 – Final SEIS available for public review
- Summer 2017 – Request first Record of Decision for the study